Saturday 11 July 2009

Rainbow dress

What do you think of the lovely rainbow dress I made for Lyra? I cast on the first stitches for this when I was (unknowingly!) in early labour with Logan... 7 weeks later it was complete & ready to wear. Not exactly a dress to hide away in is it!!! I made up the pattern as I went along but this is basically what I did...
It wass knitted on circular needles & worked from the bottom up in stocking stitch... Each coloured stripe is 7 rows & think I cast on 174 stitches to start with on the circular needles... started knitting together part way throught he 2nd rainbow to add some shape to the skirt then when I got to the end of 2 full sets of the colours I started knitting on normal needles, separating the front & back & after 2 bands of colour started reducing the number of stitces by knitting 2 stitches together on each end of rows I was reducing, think it was aleternate rows to start with & then the middle row of each colour band to shape it into a pinafore....
I used 3.5mm circular needles & 3mm straight needles for the top because I thought the top could do with being a bit smaller knit & would be more likely to become stretched with wear. I used DK wool though so it would have been fine with 4mm needles for both & fewer stitches, I just wanted tight stitching to be 100% certain I didn't need to line it!! I bought verything I used on ebay lots cheaper than it would be in the shops... By the way to get stocking stith on circular needles you just knit all the way with no purl rows (just in case you didn't know)

No comments:

Post a Comment